Many islanders are turning to vegetable gardening as a way to keep busy, grow their own food and be more self-sufficient. Below are a bunch of resources!
In addition, feel free to check out the Bowen Gardeners Facebook group.
Vegetable Seeds & Starters
Within our community, here are our options for seeds:
- Bowen Island Flower Shop carries Aimer’s Organic Seeds and Pacific Northwest Seeds, but they are quite low in stock. They have a list of their inventory on their Facebook page. In addition, they have lots of veggie starters, including tomatoes and herbs. They are have rhubarb and asparagus crowns and onion sets.
- The Bowen Island Nursery is now open every weekend from 11am – 5pm. They have veggie starters and lots more.
- Ruddy Potato carries West Coast Seeds, but supply varies due to demands and restocking.
- The Bowen Building Centre is currently open to the public on Friday’s and has seeds available.
For those looking for seed potatoes, we don’t believe there are any available on island. You can order online from West Coast Seeds, or if you’re in the city, do a pick up order at Gardenworks, Dyhkof Nursery or Maple Leaf Gardens.
If you do pop out to grab gardening supplies, please be mindful of both the directive to stay home and social distancing. Many of our local businesses are able to deliver too!
Soil & Mulch
- The Bowen Building Centre has soil, sea soil and manure. They are open Friday’s for the public.
- Cam Rolfe sells & delivers 1.5 yard bags of veggie soil for $175. He also has mushroom manure. Text or call him at: 604-916-1358.
- Mike Carachelo at Mike’s Bins can bring over large volumes of soil (up to 8 yards) from his supplier in North Vancouver. Feel free to text or call him at: 604-726-3081.
- Jackie Bradley has straw in stock (with donations to BAA). If you would like to order some, please email her at email@example.com.
Rafal Izdebski is build garden-grade raised beds on request! They are 8′ x 2′ and made of cedar. All in for $200 per planter (incl. local delivery). He can also do custom boxes in the following measurements: 72”x30” and 36”x36” boxes. You can contact him at: 604-999-9949 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Gardening Supplies
Seedling trays and plastic pots are only currently available through online suppliers, but perhaps your fellow gardeners have some to lend! Check with neighbours (virtually) or our local Buy & Sell Facebook page to spare yourself from delivery fees!
Annual Plant Sales
Right now there are a few community plant sales planned for late May and they are planned to have veggie starters available. Feel free to join the Bowen Gardeners group to stay updated!
- Regional “when to plant” charts for veggies, herbs and flowers
- “How-to” grow guides for almost every type of vegetable
- Seed starting: How to sow seeds indoors
- Companion planting 101
- How to build and design a raised garden bed
- Gardening tips care of Master Gardener, Linda Gilkeson (it’s worth subscribing to her newsletter too!)