Bowen Island Recycling Depot is closing in response to Provincial Health recommendations for COVID-19.
After consultation with Bowen Island Municipality, the Bowen Island Recycling Depot is closing the Depot effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 4pm. This move is in response to direction from the Chief Medical Health Officer of BC and the Medical Health Officer for Vancouver Coastal Health. The closure will be in effect until further notice.
Bowen Island Recycling Depot has been closely monitoring the developments related to COVID-19. This is a constantly evolving situation and we continue to work closely with Bowen Island Municipality and health officials to ensure Bowen Island Recycling Depot’s practices and actions reflect new information as it is available.
The decision was not an easy one to make, but the health of our staff, volunteers, and customers is our highest priority, and we are working to limit the spread of COVID-19 as much as possible.
Updates and any additional information will be posted on Bowen Island Municipality’s website.
We recommend that you keep informed on the virus by consulting reliable sources such as:
• BC Centre for Disease Control www.bccdc.ca
• Public Health Agency of Canada www.canada.ca/coronavirus
• Vancouver Coastal Health www.vch.ca
At this time, Bowen Waste Solutions will continue with essential services such as garbage, green waste/food waste and commercial pick-up.
- Keep Bowen Waste staff (and yourselves) safe. When you put your garbage and organics bins out for pickup: Sanitize them after putting them out for pickup, before the crew arrive to empty them. And, before you touch the bins to retrieve them, sanitize them before you pick them up.
- Remember that the crew are in direct contact with your bins, and your neighbour’s bins immediately before and after yours.
- Pretend you are already infected and change your behaviours to prevent someone else from becoming ill.
And a friendly FAQ:
- Can I put my recycling into my garbage? Nope! Putting recycling into your garbage will result in fines being imposed on Bowen Waste Solutions.
- Since I can’t put my recycling into my garbage, what should I do with it? For the time being, continue to collect your recycling. If the closure of BIRD should continue, Bowen Waste Solutions, in conjunction with the Bowen Island Municipality, will develop an alternative way of handling recycling. This solution will be announced in the Undercurrent, as well as being posted on Facebook.
- What is going to happen to garbage and green waste/food waste pick-up? Bowen Waste Solutions will continue with essential services such as garbage, green waste/food waste and commercial pick-up.